Before I dig into my review of Udi’s new gluten-free bread, a few disclaimers.
- Disclaimer: This is not an Udi’s hit piece. I have (deservedly) slammed them a number of times over the years. This is an actual honest review.
- Disclaimer: I don’t eat store-bought bread so it’s been awhile. Most (not all) of the gluten-free bread you buy in the store is full of unhealthy ingredients and I choose to eat real food the majority of the time.
- Disclaimer: I’ve only had one cup of coffee so far.
- Disclaimer: The house across the street is getting their roof replaced. I’m finding it oddly captivating watching these guys rip the shingles off.
- Disclaimer: No more disclaimers.
Ok…I’m gonna keep this short since I got work to do. I’d rather make bread than review bread, if you know what I mean. Ok. Here we go.
First, I was curious how Udi’s describes their new bread. From their website:
What the hell are they talking about?? Eat well…by eating their products? New way to approach gf living? And bland, crumbly and tasteless food? I’m not sure if that’s the most ignorant statement I’ve ever read or the most arrogant.
Disclaimer: I’m really trying to be impartial here, but they make it quite challenging.
Just for proof, here is the bread I purchased. You can see it’s frozen. And you can also see that it’s “Our Best Bread Ever!” But to be fair, that’s a really low bar to set.
I attempt to remove a slice from the loaf and…um…this happens:
So I jumped on Udi’s Facebook page and saw that it was a very common issue (shocker I know!). Here is what Udi’s suggests:
Ok then…I’ll let it thaw. (Jeopardy Music Playing…) All right, it’s thawed. I break a piece off. It’s soft. It’s really small.
I take a bite. How does it taste? If I recall from my youth, I’d say it has the flavor and texture of Wonder Bread. I’ll let you folks decide if that’s a good thing or not. Then some of it got stuck to the roof of my mouth and I literally had to peel it out. Another journey to their Facebook page and yes…another common complaint.
On the second day, I thought I’d give it another taste. I had a bite and felt the same way about it. But within 15 minutes, no joke, my stomach started killing me and I felt like I needed a shower. Should food do that?? No…I don’t think there is any gluten in it. But lets’s face it…it is made from a lot of crap. Like 3 different starches, 2 kinds of sugar, 2 kinds of gums and whatever the hell “modified cellulose” is. For someone who eats healthy, my body completely rejected it and into the garbage it went.
I was hoping to try it again at the end of 7 days to see if it stayed fresh, but no way I’m not doing that to my system again.
(And don’t even get me started on pictures people are posting of their new bread with holes. Sorry but Worst. Company. Ever.)