Hey everyone…it’s Scott. Who???? Sorry…that’s my stage name. It’s Gluten Dude. As many of you know, I am building a mobile app for the gluten-free/celiac community. And for those that don’t know, I am building a mobile app for the gluten-free/celiac community. I’ve come across a few things along my journey:
- I was going to use a 3rd party tool to build the app, thinking it would be quicker and much less costly. But it couldn’t do close to what I wanted the app to do so I began my search for a development team to build it with/for me and posted something on my LinkedIn page.
- I got about 100 email responses, 2/3 of which had numerous grammar and/or spelling mistakes. Struck those off my list and settled on 6 companies to reach out to and I sent them my specs and they got back to me with pricing.
- Holy crap! Building a kick ass app is expensive!! I mean…I knew that going in but yikes.
- I’ll be running a GoFundMe campaign in the coming week or so to help cover the cost of the build. The tagline for my app is “Built FOR the Gluten-Free Community. Supported BY the Gluten-Free Community.” There will be no advertising and I won’t be taking a penny from any companies so I hope you’ll support the cause and spread the word when the time comes.
Ok…moving on. As soon as I get some funding, I’m going to start building it. It’s a bit of a lengthy process and I want to get started ASAP. So…since I’m building the app for you…I want to make sure it meets YOUR needs. I’m reaching out to you wonderful people to see if you had any last minute requests/suggestions that you’d love to see on the app.
My goal/hope/prayer is that the app will be a place where the gluten-free community can find safe places to eat, connect with each other, connect with me, make some friends, learn some things and enjoy themselves.
Here is what the app will entail so far (still working out the details but this is the gist):
- We’ll have as many 100% gluten-free restaurants as we can locate in US and Canada (and then expand from there.) You’ll be able to find a restaurant by your current location, zip code, etc. You will also be able to leave reviews. This will be updated monthly.
- You’ll be able to find gluten-FREE beer in US and Canada. I’m working with as many brew-masters as I can to get a monthly listing of where their beers can be found (restaurants/bars/stores). Stay thirsty my friends.
- You’ll be able to connect with each other. And isn’t that what community is all about? We’ll have public chat rooms and you’ll be able to chat privately as well. And there will be an option to find a fellow subscriber by zip code. And yes…I will be an active participant.
- I’ll be answering your emails. I have a backlog of emails to respond to. On a regular basis, I’ll post your emails and then answer them via written, audio and/or video.
- You’ll be able read my blog. Yes…I’m keeping my blog going. It’s been 8 years and 710 posts. No reason to stop now.
- I’ll have push notifications so I can let you all know when something exciting/important happens (i.e. a new restaurant opens, a product gets recalled, I go to the bathroom, etc.) Don’t worry…I won’t bug ya too often.
There will be a few static pages as well, but the above list is the meat of it.
So…it’s last call for suggestions. What feature(s) not listed above 1) would you like to see? or 2) is needed in the gluten-free/celiac community?
Bar closes at midnight. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.
Yes…I used to bar-tend.
Cheers and thanks!