Gluten free is all the rage these days. Hollywood has embraced it (gag). Companies are plastering “gluten free” all over their products, even if they have always been gluten free. So called “experts” are comparing it to the South Beach Diet.
As somebody with severe celiac disease, I watch this all with frustration and amusement.
So let’s put this to an end and answer the question once and for all.
Why go gluten free?
Well…I will assume if you want to or need to go gluten free, you fall into one of the following categories.
- Everybody else is doing it. Well, that’s just sad.
- I want to lose weight. Not quite as sad, but still misinformed. A gluten free diet is NOT a step toward weight loss. If you’re not eating gluten, but still taking in more calories than you are burning, guess what? That’s right. Eventually, you won’t be able to see your feet.
- I want to give up some of those foods anyway. We’re getting better here. The fact is, a lot of foods with gluten are unhealthy. Pizza, bread, cakes, sauces, cookies, cereals, and the list goes on. If you can give up a lot of these foods, AND YOU EXERCISE, you will indeed by healthier.
- I have a gluten intolerance/allergy. Do your best to remain completely gluten free. You may have all of the symptoms of celiac disease, but you aren’t actually doing damage to your body if you ingest gluten. Eating gluten will make you feel bad, but it won’t kill you either. But do you want to feel bad? I know I don’t.
- I have celiac disease. Ding, ding, ding. We’ve got a winner. If you’ve got celiac disease, you must, must, must remain completely, 100% gluten free for the rest of your life. Not an easy task as gluten is everywhere, but you’ve got no choice. Stop cheating. Stop procrastinating. Stop in the name of love. No more gluten for you.
So why gluten free? It depends on your health, your needs and your motivations. Personally, I think everyone is better off without it in their diets. But I’m a little biased as it turned my life upside down five years ago.
So what category do you fall under?