Time for some serious changes. Why? Let me explain, self-interview style.
Dude…what’s going on?
I had a really fun summer.
Could you let me finish?
As I was saying…I had a really fun summer. But it wasn’t the healthiest of summers. Lots of socializing. Which meant lots of happy hours, which led to some pretty bad habits. Not making the best choices. And before I was rudely interrupted, I was going to say that it seemed to carry into the Autumn months. Not good.
So you’re not feeling well?
Not feeling well and not looking well…at all.
How bad is it?
Ouch…you look like the Walking Dead. Speaking of which, did you see the episode last Sunday?
I don’t wanna talk about it.
Ok…so moving on. I hear you are now going to do the AIP Diet for awhile. Can you tell me about it?
I’d heard of it in the past and while I was out visiting Jennifer E. last week, we talked a lot about it. It’s basically the Whole 30, which I’ve done, on steroids. Here’s the list of foods not allowed (courtesy of aiplifestyle.com):
- Nuts (including nut oils like walnut and sesame seed oils)
- Seeds (including flax, chia, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and culinary herb seeds like cumin and coriander)
- Beans/Legumes (this includes all beans like kidney, pinto, black as well as Soy in all its forms)
- Grains (Corn, Wheat, Millet, Buckwheat, Rice, Sorghum, Amaranth, Rye, Spelt, Teff, Kamut, Oats etc)
- Alternative sweeteners like xylitol, stevia, mannitol
- Dried fruits and/or over-consumption of fructose (I recommend up to 2 pieces of fruit a day)
- Dairy Products
- All Processed Foods
- Gums (guar gum, Tara gum, Gellan gum, Gum Arabic)
- No vegetable oils (NOTE: olive oil, lard, palm oil, cultured grass fed ghee and coconut oils are permitted)
- Culinary herbs from seeds (mustard, cumin, coriander, fennel, cardamom, fenugreek, caraway, nutmeg, dill seed)
What the hell is a nightshade??
It’s what you put on a light so it’s not so bright. No wait…that’s a lampshade. It’s what you put on at night so you can see in the dark. No wait…that’s a night light. Oh…I got it. It’s tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, paprika, mustard seeds, and all chili’s including spices.
Wait a minute…ALL BEANS? Does that include coffee?
Yes it does.
Don’t you love coffee?
And no eggs??
And no alcohol???
Are you trying to make me feel bad? You should be on my side.
Look…it’s just a reboot. It’s not forever. I plan on doing it for a few weeks. I’ve got some serious inflammation going on. I’ve got to get back on track again. And more than anything else, it shows me that I can survive without certain foods that I love. And my goal is to stay AIP 90% of the time once these few weeks are up.
Life is to be enjoyed and eating is a part of that. But if I’m feeling ill, life ain’t fun. So to all my fellow celiacs, if you’re struggling with your health, if your stuck in a rut of eating gluten-free processed crap, if you want to hit the reset button with me, the more the merrier. As I’ve always said, we all deserve to feel good.