I have celiac disease. This fact is pretty well-known by this time.
But I haven’t shared my other health issues with you.
Heck…even the Dudettes (my kids) don’t know the whole story. Thankfully, they could care less about my blog so they won’t find out.
The reason that I am baring my soul (so to speak) is that I’m curious if there is a connection between celiac disease and the many other health issues I’ve encountered.
I figure if I share my story, perhaps I can entice you folks to do the same and we can do some kind of unscientific study. If I win a Nobel, I will be sure to share the glory.
So here is a list of the health issues I’ve dealt with:
- In my youth (ages 8-14), I had WARTS. Some on my knee. Some on my hands. Not disfiguring mind you. Just annoying. Eventually, they went away.
- At age 10, I woke up one day not feeling well. We had a doctor who lived down the street come by and he suggested I get to the hospital right away. (To this day, I am wondering what he saw in me that made him suggest that. I felt like I just had a cold.) Anyway, I spent 7 long days in the hospital. Blood work out the kazoo. Diagnosis: unknown. I found out years later that they were testing me for RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. By the way, the highlight of the week was my dad visiting my every night after work and we’d watch Hogan’s Heroes together. It’s funny the things you remember.
- In my teen years, I had the pleasure of dealing with ACNE. Worse than many; not as bad as some.
- At this point, I know what you’re thinking. “Wow…warts AND acne. You must have been quite the catch.” Yeah…good times indeed.
- Fast forward to my late twenties and I developed LOWER BACK PAIN. Severe at times. It’s something I still deal with and actually am currently in physical therapy for it.
- In Spring 2007, I began peeing blood. Diagnosis: BLADDER CANCER. And you males out there don’t want to know how they diagnose it. Uh…huh. It was low-grade and after one reoccurrance, I’ve been cancer free (phew!!).
- In Spring 2008, after years of complaining of stomach aches and losing 15 pounds, I finally listened to Mrs. Dude and went to a GI. Diagnosis: CELIAC DISEASE.
- In Fall 2008, working one night, starting feeling “not right”. Pain in my neck and shoulder…hurt to inhale. Mrs. Dude said we should go to hospital. Do you think I learned my lesson? Of course not. Lying in bed, had a strange sensation. Almost like back pain, but in my entire torso. Jumped out of bed. Feeling went away. Mrs. Dude spent the entire night poking me in the back to make sure I was alive. The next day, my doc said I should go to emergency room just to get it checked out. After five hours of tests, diagnosis: MULTIPLE BLOOD CLOTS IN BOTH OF MY LUNGS (medical term: pulmonary embolism). That strange sensation I had was the clots passing thru my heart into my lungs. This is the point in time where most people die from this. Seriously…WTF!?
So that’s my story. Are they related? I have no idea. But I’m thinking there has got to be something going on that ties at least some of it together.
But I would love to hear your stories. And thru your stories, maybe we can see if there is any kind of connection.
What other health issues have you had to deal with?