It’s no big secret that I hate our media. I think they have way too much control in our society and if they are not trying to sway people in one direction, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for a buck.
Even by those low standards, yesterday was a weird day in the media. It seems that every news outlet and their mother had an article about whether the gluten-free diet was a necessity or a fad.
Really?? I thought we were moving past this.
Note to self: More work to be done raising celiac awareness.
It’s almost like one person got the idea and because it would be too much work to come up with something original, everybody simply copied the same idea.
But nobody did more of a hatchet job than ABC News. The video above, titled “Is a Gluten-Free Diet Bad for You?” is garbage journalism at best.
Here are the video low-lights:
- First comes an ad. Yeah…I know they need to make money. I’m ok with that. But max out at 10 seconds or you lose me.
- :30 – Ok…we’re off to a good start. The focus is on Dana Vollmer, who has severe gluten-sensitivity and had to give up gluten for HEALTH reasons.
- :45 – They had to bring in Elizabeth Hasselbeck? And she doesn’t mention WHY Dana was gluten-free? Missed opportunity.
- 1:15 – “Novak Djokovic, the tennis player, has celiac disease.” 100% incorrect. Not even close. Seriously, how does that make it to the final cut of the video? Pathetic.
- 1:25 – “Dana Vollmer just feels better going gluten-free.” Unreal. No mention that she suffers from gluten-intolerance. She is not doing this simply to feel better, but to keep her healthy; a huge difference.
- 1:40 – They bring in a practitioner of “functional medicine”, because, you know, it must have been too difficult to find a real doctor to talk about a real disease. He says people lose weight when they stop eating gluten. He’s an idiot.
- 2:00 – Now they bring in somebody from a Reality TV show. It’s officially getting comical.
- 2:20 – Crap, they’re bringing back Miss Hasselbeck. I’m sorry…she just annoys me.
- 3:00 – Miss H. says that “those who are adopting gluten-free for fashion or trend are probably going to like it.” She says everyone is better off reducing gluten from their diet. Perhaps she got a medical degree while on Survivor that I am not aware of. She is the worst celiac advocate ever. I’m not saying people are better off “on” gluten or “off” gluten. I’m just saying there is no evidence that gluten is inherently bad for most people.
- 3:40 – They bring back the practitioner, who says that nobody should eat wheat, even though there is no scientific or medical evidence to back up his claim.
- 3:55 – They bring in Dr. Peter Green. Finally. So it only took ABC News four minutes to bring in somebody who knows what they’re talking about. Well done ABC.
- 4:07 – Reporter: “Are there benefits of somebody who does not have celiac disease to go on a gluten-free diet?” Dr. Green: “Not that I’m aware of.”
- Hmmm…who should I listen to? Reality TV stars or a medical professional who has dedicated his profession to those with celiac disease. That’s a tough one.
- 4:20 – Many doctors say going gluten-free if you do not need to be can actually be dangerous. Our practitioner denies it.
- 5:00 – They go back to Dana Vollmer, making it seem like she went gluten-free just for an edge.
- 5:12 – They finish with “Gluten-Free is Gold”, obviously stolen from my blog post yesterday (just kidding…I think).
So after several NBC Today Show fails, ABC has joined the ranks.
Stand proud folks…a job well done!